There's nothing you can't do.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

More Experiments with T-shirt Yarn

In my previous posts, I made three types of scarves from t-shirt yarn. Now that Spring is near, I wanted to use some colorful t-shirt yarn to make a necklace or two, though.

I found a bright blue, solid t-shirt at our local thrift store for $1. When I last made my t-shirt yarn, I made parallel cuts to create many long loops (the dark green infinity scarf in this post). This time, I decided to make a continuous piece of yarn by removing the hem, then cutting a single layer all around the bottom until I reached the armpits.

This made a lot of yarn, a big heap of it.


My four-year-old daughter found it all very intriguing and wanted to help. Who am I to refuse? She also wanted me to make a video of her showing us all how to make it:


As you can see, we have a future McGalver on our hands, which makes me really proud!

I learned a very important lesson, though - as you turn your cut t-shirt into yarn, make sure you either roll it up into a ball as you go, stack it, or somehow otherwise keep it nice and tidy. If you don't, you'll end up with a big ol' knotted mess, like I did.

It took me an hour to turn this:


into this:


Once that was tidied up, though, I was good to go. I have had my eye on Sailor's Knot necklaces, like this one, for a while, and set out to learn how to make one like it.

I found a wonderful, step-by-step guide to the Carrick Bend (often used in Sailor's Knot necklaces) here. I viewed other websites and videos, but this one was, hands-down, the easiest for me to follow. I decided to try it using the t-shirt yarn, even though it isn't as stiff as the twisted rope that is often used in these necklaces.

This was the result:


I like it! I used 4 strands of yarn on each side, for a total of 8 when the necklace is finished. I also varied the knot a bit, too, by tucking the bottom 4 strands on each side through the back of the upper loops. I finished it by knotting each side, then adding a dab of fabric glue to hold it. I then used jump rings and a necklace clasp, and it was complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment