There's nothing you can't do.

Sunday, March 4, 2012

How to Make Your Own Stuffed Animal Hammock

A couple of days ago, I realized that my daughter has developed an addiction to stuffed animals. It's getting to the point that if we don't intervene soon, she very well may end up on a Preschool edition of Hoarders. Don't believe me?


I'm ashamed of this picture, and this isn't even all of them...more are already stored in tidy cubes along a wall behind me. These didn't have a home, though, other than the floor or bed, and I vowed to find some way to get all those little dust gatherers off the floor.

I have had my eye out for a toy hammock for some time, but the few that I found didn't appeal to me. So, I set out to try something on my own.

What You'll Need:




-1 pair of long, lightweight sheers or drapes (can usually be picked up for a couple of dollars at a Thrift store)
-8 small screw-in hooks

I started by screwing the first four hooks into the ceiling, near the corner but out a bit and at an angle. I didn't worry about measuring or straight lines - the fabric will cover the hooks.


Next, I took one of the sheers and laid it on the floor. I folded it in half to find the middle, then tied a knot about a foot up from the middle / bottom. I then tied a second knot near the top.


I hung this on the four hooks by pressing the four corners of the top of the tied sheer onto the four ceiling hooks. Yes, I ripped the fabric by doing this, but it should hold if you're sure to hook the fabric below the hemmed edges.


I filled both levels with the animals that my daughter doesn't usually play with, and made sure to leave a few peeking over the edges for a decorative effect.

I then placed the remaining four hooks into the two walls, and hooked the remaining sheer in a hammock fashion.

This bottom layer holds her favorites, and she's able to easily reach them whenever she wants. The best part of this solution (other than no longer having all these animals spread around the room) is that I can easily take it down whenever needed. I keep hoping she'll outgrow this stuffed animal obsession soon, but that may just be wishful thinking on my part.

No comments:

Post a Comment