There's nothing you can't do.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

How to Paint a Wine Glass

Painted wine glasses make a great gift for any occasion. Most of the time the Dollar Tree has the extra large glasses for only $1, so they're really an economical gift also! Creating a custom, one-of-a-kind gift is easier than you might think - you can paint anything you'd like on the glass in just a few simple steps, even if you've never painted anything before!


This is the finished product, although I wish I'd taken a better picture of it. My friend is a nurse, so I painted her name, this picture, and, "Trust me, I'm a nurse. This won't hurt at all..." on the glass.

What You'll Need
-Wine Glass
-Rubbing Alcohol
-Pebeo Paints for porcelain or glass (I used the pens and paint but you could use either/or)
-Brushes (if using the paint)
-Oven
-Photo or stencil, if you don't want to draw free-hand
-Tape


First, I found a photo that I liked and printed it out. You could also use a picture from a magazine or other source, or something you drew yourself. For copyright reasons, you'd never want to use someone else's drawing if you plan to sell these, though.

I trimmed the photo and taped it to the inside of the glass, then prepared the outside of the glass by cleaning  it with rubbing alcohol. From there, I really just used my pens to trace the picture, and filled in the hair with my gold paint.



I added my text, then after the paint dried, I baked it in the oven at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes to set the paint and make it durable. That's it! The paint holds up well - in my experience, the Pebeo paints are the best for glass and ceramics. This technique will work on any glass or mug. I have a test mug that I run through the dishwasher regularly, and the paint looks brand new. I do recommend hand washing, though, just in case.

The recipient really went crazy for this glass - it was so much fun to make and give!
\

1 comment:

  1. A smaller glass is also better for whites because they are served chilled. Obviously, it takes longer to drink a larger quantity of wine, and you want to drink up each glass of white wine before it has a chance to become overly warm.

    ReplyDelete