There's nothing you can't do.

Monday, February 27, 2012

How to Throw a Mad Men Party, Part 1 of 4: Invitations

This past weekend, we had a few friends over for a Mad Men-themed party. I just can't begin to say how much fun it was! One of my friends is a Tupperware representative, and she recently asked if I wanted to have a Tupperware party. I thought about it, and I didn't just want to have a Tupperware party, I wanted to have a Mad Men party, complete with a Tupperware demonstration (and a Jello salad mold!). It's no coincidence that Season 5 will debut exactly a month from last night, either! I can't think of a better way to get excited about the new season.

I've been planning this party for a couple of months, so I'll break it into four parts: Invitations, Dress, Menu, and Decorations / Soundtrack.

The invitations were a cinch, thanks to Evite.com. They offer three Man Men themes from which to choose: Don Draper, Joan Holloway, and the entire cast. If none of those pre-made options suit your tastes, you can choose an "Upload Your Photo" design and use a Mad Men image that you prefer. This is what I chose, using the Film Strip design.

Evite makes it simple to send your invitation - simply complete your template with your party details, including location, date, and time, enter the email addresses of anyone you want to invite, and an email will go to them from evite on your behalf. The recipients can then RSVP and/or comment on the invitation, and you, as the host, will be notified with each person's RSVP.

In the hosts' message area of the invitation, I included this text:
All you foxes and cats get ready to put on your Betty Draper or Roger Sterling best and party Mad Men style. 

Dust off your bullet bras and skinny ties and join us for an evening of retro fun. Come and enjoy classic cocktails, hors d'oeuvres, jello salad, and even an old-fashioned Tupperware demonstration! 
Obviously, you can include a message that is specific to your particular party. Just have fun with it and your guests will be sure to be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment