There's nothing you can't do.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

The Perfect Mother's Day Gift (and it's FREE!)

Are you still searching for the perfect Mother's Day gift for your wife or significant other? I'll share a secret Mom's wish with you guys who are out there, desperately searching the ether for last minute ideas...

This is what Moms really want:

1. Let her be able to do something - anything - of her choosing, unrushed and uninterrupted. I haven't been able to do this in over 5 years now. A pregnant friend recently asked me, via email, if I had any advice for her, and I told her to expect to not be able to finish anything uninterrupted for the next few years. I still haven't heard from her, but I'll bet she'll agree with me in a couple of years.

2. Pretend she isn't there. That's right! That means you and the kids figure out the day's details, events and activities - everything from eating meals to wiping butts to finding the duct tape - on your own. Even if she's there, pretend she isn't and improvise if you must. Whatever you do...don't ask her where something is, or how to do something, because that really isn't giving her a break at all, much less letting her have some uninterrupted time (see #1).

3. Pick up your own stuff, and your kids' stuff, if only for one day. She picks up her own stuff and puts it back where it belongs, all day, every day. Guess what! She also picks up your kids' stuff, all day, every day. You don't notice it, but trust me, she's doing it. All. Day. Long. And - BONUS! She also picks up your stuff. You probably don't notice that either, but it's always where it belongs, isn't it? And - hmmmm...I'll bet you weren't the one that put it there, but like magic - POOF! It was there, in it's place, when you went to get it. So, just for Mother's Day, don't leave her anything extra to pick up and put away.

Forget the jewelry, fancy dinners, breakfast in bed, and anything else that you thought she might want. Trust me when I say that if you can swing these three things, you'll have a happy Mama in your house.

No comments:

Post a Comment