There's nothing you can't do.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Graduation Cap Candies

My daughter graduated preschool last night. It was bittersweet to see her walk on stage in a little cap and gown to accept her certificate of completion. She looked so much older with her hair curled and styled and pulled back into her graduation cap. I suppose these ceremonies are really designed more to prepare the parents - emotionally and mentally - for the future than those actually "graduating". It certainly was a dose of reality for my husband and me: our little girl is growing up.

Of course, any ceremony has to be followed by gluttony or it just wouldn't be American. Every family was asked to bring two dishes and a dessert, and I took the easy way out and brought a fruit and veggie tray for my two dishes. The dessert was really simple, too - but fun and fit the occasion. I made little chocolate graduation cap candies from store-bought candy and icing.


To put these together, all you'll need are:
-Chocolate squares (I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate - found on sale at Target)
-Miniature Peanut Butter cups (I used Reese's)
-Cookie icing (I used Betty Crocker)
-White Fondant icing (I had some left over in the freezer from decorating a birthday cake recently)


I originally thought that I would use graham cracker squares dipped in chocolate for the cap tops, but the chocolate squares were so much easier. It occurred to me later that I could also have used brownie bites in place of the peanut butter cups - maybe I'll do that next time! Brownie bites would also be best if someone has a peanut allergy.

To assemble, unwrap the candies, and turn the peanut butter cup upside down. Place a small amount of cookie icing onto the peanut butter cup, then place the chocolate square on top of the icing.


To make the tassel, add a little icing on the center of the cap, then roll a small amount of fondant into a long string-like shape, and place one end of the string into the icing.


Give the icing time to set up (Betty Crocker's cookie icing is great for setting up very quickly!), and you're all done! They were a huge hit at the graduation dinner, enjoyed by kids and parents alike.

Happy Graduation to all of this year's graduates out there! And to both the parents and graduates - you did a Great Job!

No comments:

Post a Comment