There's nothing you can't do.

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Getting Organized for the New Year

I frequently find myself going through piles of stuff that, over time, accumulate on our kitchen table. It drives me crazy. I have also been on the search for a tidy way to keep my four-year-old daughter's art supplies in a place that is convenient for her to grab them whenever she wants.

After searching for weeks, I picked up a few things at the office supply store that worked for us. This is how they look in action! I also added a chalkboard area where we can write messages, menus, and other important info.


This is what I used:



-Cordless drill/screwdriver
-Chalkboard paint and paintbrush
-Drywall screws
-Metal mesh office organizers (I used two small trays out of a four-drawer storage cabinet, two wall file holders, and one small round pencil holder)

The metal items for the wall came in silver and black, but you could easily match your decor by covering them with a couple of coats of paint. I prefer Rustoleum for metal - it always seems to cover the best and is available in a wide array of colors.

The first step is to plan your space. I had a small wall with a round table in front of it, so I was able to put the small trays low and toward the corner. That way, my daughter is able to reach them but they won't be in the way of anyone using the table. I roughly sketched out an area for the chalkboard paint (freehand outline with a pencil), and then evenly spaced the two file holders between the paint and small drawers. I added the small round cup to hold a piece of chalk and small cloth for the chalkboard.


The top file holder will be used for our mail, bills, magazines, and other items that used to take up space on our table. The bottom file holder is for my daughter's drawing paper and coloring books.

Installation is pretty easy if you're familiar with using a drill and screwdriver. Just be sure to use drywall screws if you're hanging these on drywall (or sheetrock). Otherwise, you run the risk of the screws pulling out over time, and everything in your baskets will spill out. 

I didn't use a level, but if you're picky and don't want to just eyeball it, you might want to use a level to make sure they're level and evenly spaced before drilling your holes.

I then painted the chalkboard area. I used two coats, but on some walls, it may take three. Painting thin, even coats works better than one heavy coat. 



There you have it! So far, we all love it, and it really has tidied up our kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment