There's nothing you can't do.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

DIY Reusable Swiffer Cloths

We recently replaced the carpet in our den with laminate flooring. It looks great, but with 3 pets and a preschooler, I found myself in need of something to quickly and easily clean it every day or so. I picked up a Swiffer Sweeper and loved how easy it was to use (the preschooler loves to use it, too!).

It came with samples of both the dry and wet cloths. Between the vinyl flooring in our kitchen and the laminate in our den, we quickly used them all. I fell into the marketing trap and picked up a package of each the next time I went to the grocery store.

Once I got home and started using the packages (and, of course, tossing the used cloths into the trash), I realized that I could most likely find a reusable solution for the cloths. Thankfully it wasn't too hard!

I picked up a pack of utility dishcloths that are perfect! I was able to get this 9-pack for $3, and they should last a long, long time.


I can use them dry to pick up dust or pet hair, or I can lightly spray them with a vinegar/water mixture for light cleaning. When I'm finished, I just toss them into the wash and they're ready to use again.

For wet cloths, I put a few of them into the empty Swiffer Wet cloths container and added some of the vinegar/water solution. Whenever I want to mop the kitchen or bath, I just pull one out, wring out the extra water, and it works great.


I'm sometimes bothered by scented products, and I hadn't been able to find an unscented version of Swiffer's wet cloths. So this solution also solves that issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment