There's nothing you can't do.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Make Your Own Laundry Detergent

If you're looking for easy ways to save money on household items, one easy way you can do so is to make your own laundry detergent. I started making my own a little over 2 years ago because the commercial detergents' scents were too strong for me, and the "Free" products were expensive. This recipe works well in our front-loading machine. It cleans well (I do still use Oxyclean spray to pre-treat heavy stains, but everything else comes right out), has a very light scent, and is easy to make. Plus, I love the fact that as long as I'm well-stocked on the ingredients, I never run out - I just make more when I need it!

What You'll Need:
-2 cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (in the laundry aisle, but regular baking soda works if you can't find it)
-2 cups Borax
-1 bar Ivory soap
-Air-tight storage container



First, grate the bar of soap.


Then, add the Washing Soda and Borax. Mix it all together.


Transfer the mixture to air-tight storage, and that's it! I use 4 Tbsp. of this powder in our small front-loader. If you have a larger machine, you may want to try a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment