There's nothing you can't do.

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Creating Things is Essential to my Happiness

This is the single most inspirational piece I have read about the importance of creating, doing, and making. It doesn't really matter what I'm doing, creating, or making, as long as it adds value of some sort, for some one...anyone.

This is why it's always important to, "Make it your own," to quote the American Idol judges. Don't just sing it note for note. Don't just follow the instructions. Modify whatever you're doing to put your own spin on it: create something of your own. You'll be rewarded.

This is why household activities drive me crazy. Most often, they're a waste of time. What satisfaction can anyone possibly get from washing the same dishes every meal, making the same bed every single day, and washing the same clothes over...and...over? None. Zip.

If you perform a task or chore regularly (daily, weekly, etc.), ask yourself, "Can I do this less frequently, and still be just as happy with the results?" If you're mopping just because you've always mopped every other day, you're spending too much time mopping. If you're mopping because you can see dirt on your floor, then it's time well spent.

Sure, it's nice to have a clean house, and a filthy house is not an option, so I always go with the happy medium - and it is happy for me - I spend as little time and energy cleaning as possible. Which means I have more time and energy to create and do. And that is what makes me, and keeps me, happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment