There's nothing you can't do.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

How to Make Your Own Deodorant

I have been making my own deodorant for two years now. I see several benefits to it:

  • It's cheaper then buying commercial deodorant / antiperspirant
  • Less waste (no more little blue plastic containers to throw away - and anything that reduces plastic waste is a good thing)
  • I never run out, as long as my ingredients are well stocked (and they always are)
  • Fewer chemicals on and in my body. There is a great deal of Internet debate about whether or not the chemicals in deodorant and antiperspirants cause cancer and/or Alzheimer's, but whether or not it's true, I'd rather not take the chance...especially if I have a natural alternative that works just as well as the commercial solutions.
What You'll Need:
-Coconut Oil (available in the baking aisle of most supermarkets)
-Corn Starch
-Air-tight container for storage
-Baking Soda (optional)
-Tea Tree Oil or lavender oil (optional)



I find it's easiest to mix if you first melt the coconut oil in the microwave. I remove the jar's lid and microwave on high for 2 minutes until most of it is melted.

My preferred recipe is simply 1/2 C. Corn Starch and 4 Tbsp. Coconut oil, mixed together and stored at room temperature. I apply it with my fingers and it works well for me, even in the Summer. 

If that doesn't work for you, an alternative recipe would be 1/4 C. Corn Starch, 1/4 C. Baking Soda, and 4 Tbsp. Coconut oil. If that still doesn't control odors, you can add 10 drops of Tea Tree or Lavender oil to the mixture. 

Store in an airtight container and just mix more when you need it. I also use a little travel size container (that used to contain eye cream) for traveling.

This is a deodorant only, not an antiperspirant, so you'll still sweat (but you shouldn't stink). If I was a teenager, though, I'm not sure this would be a good solution, but since I'm older and don't sweat as much as I used to, this works great for me. 

Another important note - sometimes it takes a couple of weeks for your sweat glands to adjust to not being squelched by a commercial antiperspirant. So, if you feel like this isn't working because you're so sweaty, try giving it 10 days or so to see if your body adjusts. It really is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment